A senior government source said Monday morning that despite a 48-hour halt in Israel Air Force activity in Lebanon, "there is no cease-fire."
Meanwhile, Defense Minister Amir Peretz told the Knesset on Monday that Israel must not agree to an immediate cease-fire, and that the military would expand and strengthen its attacks against Hezbollah.
…The government source said that the IAF had been told to continue acting against "targets that present a threat to Israel and its troops, including rocket launchers, vehicles transporting ammunition, Hezbollah fighters, weapons stores and Hezbollah assets."
…which raises the question of who the IAF thought it was hitting before. Hezbollah, meanwhile, has reduced the number of rocket attacks on Israel, though not quite to zero. Interestingly, it was the US State Department that announced the aerial ceasefire, not the Israeli government, and after US opposition the UN Security Council has still refused to call for an immediate ceasefire. All in all, it looks like the response to Qana has been an extension of diplomatic cover rather than a suspension of war from the air.
Meanwhile Alex has a map of military flashpoints, axes of advance and similar combat goodness in Southern Lebanon, accurate as of 1:30 pm, GMT today. This one’s going to be tried to conclusions, as they used to say.